Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Random observations

Not much going on right now. Been swamped in other parts of my life, so haven't worked sheep in a couple of days. That's okay- because I am frankly, just too tired! I get home and I just want to rest. Lucy has started a new thing. It's eerie. When I am on the computer, and Kylie is laying near me, Lucy who has been attentive to either the cat, or sleeping, will come and stand just outside the door and not.make.a.sound. She just stands there, stock still staring at Kylie. See, Kylie is the dog she tries to work, and apparently, it is a very strong urge in her. It doesn't help at all that Kylie is a bit frenetic in her movements, which means Lucy is even more interested in controlling her. Kylie doesn't like it that much- as one could understand. Anyway, Lucy will stand there for a long time- not moving, not getting impatient, just waiting. She has the patience of Job.

What I think is funny about all of this, is that I was told that all of this behaviour (working other dogs/animals) would stop once I put Lucy on sheep. Just the opposite occurred. Lucy never really bothered trying to work Lucy before sheep, and pretty much took a passing interest in the cat. Now, she is all about working something on down time from sheep. I am able to call her off from doing this stuff, but clearly, it sure isn't be extinguished merely by working the appropriate animals ;)

A few other random observations: Lucy loves loves loves when someone else comes into the field to work with us. It's almost like she likes the other people more than me ;) No, just kidding, but clearly, she is so keyed/focused on the sheep when they come into the field- she knows what's up. Lucy also likes it when the odd Border Collie arrives, because THEY may be holding sheep for us - GOODY! or, they may be working on shedding, which Lucy LOVES to "help" by preventing escaping. The other thing Lucy really relishes is when we approach the small shed/pen. She *really* wants to go in there, and move those sheep around- even the mean ones. I don't know why, but it is really the highlight of her day. I guess that's good.
On the whole, there isn't much Lucy doesn't like about sheep work, except, maybe for stopping....

No comments: