Sunday, September 7, 2008

Steppin on the gas, WHAT??

Today we worked HEAVY sheep. I mean, I think THEY thought THEY were too heavy to move. Seriously. It was an absolute gorgeous day out- not hot, nice breeze. The sheep weren't panting. Just sort of a different animal from everything Lucy normally works. You don't even really need a set out person/dog for these sheep. Lucy didn't circle the group once today when they were slowing down on the fetch. I did something I never do, and told her she was a "good girl" when she was fetching, this seemed to keep her plugged in, and the sheep moving, albeit slowly. It's so odd for both of us! Lucy has never ever been one to bite at a heel, but maybe in these sheep, they need it! Lucy did well, but we were working way too long- that tends to bring out less than optimal work toward the end. But, all in all she was good, and extremely keen to keep working. Less stress than the last time we worked. It must be odd/interesting for dogs to encounter different sheep all the time. I think they have to sort of sleep on it, and try and figure out what works to move the sheep, and that will not irk the handler ;) We got home, and I was quite surprised to see Lucy interested in playing a bit of frisbee-

we only played a short time- we were both tired. Lucy is such a good girl. Sometimes I circle things to DEATH when I drive home from working her on sheep- and I am glad I get it all out by the time I get home. See, there are some things I need to teach her, and I don't know how, all the time, and I feel like maybe she should know them, or more truthfully, I should be a better handler. I just hope that my mistakes don't etch away at her ability. That is probably why I am sending her out more than anything- so I don't mess her up. Right now, she is just absorbing so much, it is the perfect time to send her out. I know if I keep saying it, I will believe it... Right Luce?

No comments: