Saturday, August 30, 2008

A day to remember

We worked sheep again. It seems that all my worries about Lucy being well, more a farm dog, or maybe not being able to listen (control freak), were really all about me creating tension. Pretty much simple as that. When we got to the site, I had to sort out sheep first. This is very good for Lucy- she truly enjoys working as my partner (and I hers). So, we kept out I think, 4 ewes, and 2 lambs. This was a great group to work. When fetched they didn't run hell bent for leather, and when lifted, sometimes, when the dog was a bit tight, they moved off fast, but other times they waited. They were just plain old "real sheep". I took the advice I have been given, and took some good breaks just watching the sheep. The sheep looked very good- grazing away, and happy as a pig in mud. Anyway, I worked on driving. These sheep weren't the BEST for driving, but definitely passable, and they kept Lucy honest- if she came up too close and hit the bubble, they would run. Talk about teaching a dog pace... Now, I have pretty much taught Lucy anything she knows with respect to driving. We just sort of started- I have gotten some pointers, but in general, it's been me- an important note ;) Anyway, I was able to get some good crossdriving out of her, and half flanks, which she was happy as could be to stop, and then walk in- this really is one of her fortes. Her stops are MUCH better on driving than fetching- which is probably due to her not being so confident, but I will take it! She was super keen as we worked. She only had one zip around- and that was my tension. I respond to that now by having her do BIG flanks around. She is learning that zippy impish-ness gets one no where. Good for her to finally learn that ;) Lucy really likes the idea of controlling sheep from behind, and without me as a draw to the sheep. We are at a prime time to just keep building on that.

Lucy had even better outruns this time. She has just gotten wider (but not too wide) and deeper, and it shows. I have also downed her enough at the top, that she is hesitating just enough that the lift is calmer- THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!! That was advice from Barbara Leverett- who is well, a GREAT trainer. My intention isn't to always down her, but do it enough that she puts her thinking cap on when she comes up to the bubble. Then, I want a second down after they stop- why? you ask? Well, because Lucy can get sucked into their wake, and it is one ugly fetch. This gives them room, and everyone is happier. Then, after that second down, I can give her a flank, and that keeps her just off of the sheep- again, everyone is happier.

We also worked the pen. This has been great for Lucy. She is learning to finesse things, and stay off. The problem I am facing though, is once the sheep are in, they don't want to come out ;) Eventually they will, but what if I want to work them again? Lucy has no problem snapping at/doing whatever she needs, to get these sheep out of that pen. Thank goodness she can't fit between the boards- as we know that she will do that. Hell has no fury, like a Lucy when the sheep don't move ;)

So, all in all, our work was the best we have had in months. I wish I had videotaped it- so I could do things just the same again.

No comments: