Monday, February 11, 2013

Not what I expected....

Yesterday, I decided to clean the barn out.  Soon after I started I saw this small, football sized thing... I picked it up with the pitch fork, and it was an expelled fetus.  A tiny black lamb.  Not anywhere near term.  It looked relatively normal, except maybe no eyes (sunken in).  I was shocked.  It was black.  And, when I think back one of the cross ewes had a bit of wetness on her bum the day before, and I did not think much of it.. This baby, I am certain was born dead, and well, I think it was not meant to be... That said, I rushed off to TS and got my friend and all preg girls got some Penicillin.  I have since learned Oxytet is really the best choice.  The reason I talk about antibiotics, is because *if* this was an abortion caused by a bacteria, I want everyone treated just in case it IS an bacterial infection.  I am NOTHING if not a worry wort....

So, today I will be getting the antibiotics, if vet says I should, in them, and then I will clean out the barn and just be there.  This is how it will be for the next several weeks.  Lots more time there.  I just can't be gone... This lambing is not easy, and I am not even the one having the baby!

Well, not much time to chatter, so I better get a move on.



No comments: