Sunday, November 13, 2011

Here are some shots of the field for the trial- and hopefully for my sheep to graze. It's just beautiful back here. Isn't it just beautiful?



Ginger woke me up with her stomach distresst this morning (I had to clean the carpet) at oh, I don't know, middle of the night some time. But, I was able to sleep in unti AFTER 6:00! That NEVER happens. It was so nice. I love that it was light out too. I made a nice pancake breakfast accompanied by wonderful coffee, and now the cats are sacked out in the cat bed on my bed, the dogs are either asleep or chewing their new bones, and I am just taking this morning slow. Plan today will be the usual, and since I didn't work Dan yesterday (I spent all my time doing chores around the farm) I will work him today- I better!

There is another blogger who seems to be bent on asserting that she IS a farmer. Well, I have yet to meet one farmer who says that. I real deal farmer doesn't give a rat's behind what people call them. My grandparents were farmers, I worked on farms most of my life and I never heard any of these people argue this fact. They were solid in their knowledge that they did what they did, and who cares about what anyone thinks. Maybe it's the young age, but if say, someone thinks I am podunk with my tiny flock of sheep, I smile and say to myself, well, they don't see the rest of my life. You are what you are, no excuses need to be made about it. I plan to grow my flock- not so I can reach some sort of benchmark to get some street cred, but simply because I want to get some money back on these sheep. Cripes, I could go and get all sorts of animals just to look really farmerish, but in the end, who takes care of them? Me. The moral to this story is, do what you want, and don't make and arguments about it.

Now that I am at the statistical half way point in my life, I feel like I had better do the things I want to now. There will be a time when I can't. So, spend a bit of money, enjoy my hobbies, and just seize the day! I would rather die in debt, then die with never having lived.

So, that's my Sunday sermon. Amen.

5 comments:

Hound Doggy said...

I don't know quite what to say....but I feel I need to say something.
So, I'll start with...I agree.
I am not a farmer. I grow tomatos and green beans in pots. And I've got some strawberries. Oh...and a couple other things.
The number of "crops" or animals doesn't make you a farmer. Any farmer I know, knows his craft....and his business.
I'm all for making a mistake here or there. But some mistakes some bloggers make just seem so basic and uneducated.....it even bugs me (the non-farmer).
Perhaps it is age.....or the process of finding oneself?

Dancing shepherdess said...

Sounds like we agree! The mistakes, yes, if I know who you are speaking about, it is incredible. We all make them, but many many mistakes can be avoided by taking advice and learning about what you are about to do before you do it. Any time an animal has to suffer for our well, you know what, it galls me.

Hound Doggy said...

Indeed.

Zev said...

Just wanted to say that I like the Prairie Home Companion reference in your blog profile. :)

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks- I love Garrison!