Tuesday, April 7, 2009

On sheepdogs, food, and others...

I worked Lucy the other day. We were there for a while working on different things. Lucy listened very well. I think that may have something to do with the fact that I am not allowing her so much freedom in her every day life. She has gotten overly obnoxious about guarding me, and I have put an end to it. Imagine my surprise when I sent her, and she downed where I asked, each time. Imagine that. Imagine if it were really that simple- that I could have a good dog on sheep, by simply requiring one off sheep. It's really a no brainer, but sometimes, it takes things a little longer to sink in for me...

I wanted to change things up a bit, so a couple of times, I sent her, while I was crouched (as in hiding) from the sheep, so she really had to lean on them- they had no draw to me, and well, she had to do it all on her own. The first time I was behind a tree, and Lucy got them to me decently. Then, I went far down the field and sat on a rock in a swale. That was cool. I stayed sitting on that rock, as I had her turn them around me. It was funny- the sheep were sniffing me as they went around, wondering what was wrong with this human sitting on the ground. It made things interesting for my girl, and the sheep :)

I am really happy with her penning now. It's good to be able to teach a dog things before you require them in a trial :)

Lucy was holding sheep again, and she is getting better at that. Basically we are working on lots of the same, differently. Lucy is getting fitter, and listening, so that's all good.

Danny got to watch again- poor boy. He would like to be in there, but I am waiting. I know he is keen to work the sheep, but I am waiting until his brain is fully engageable, before we let him loose ;) He is still short. He is growing, but seems so small....

He will be the big FOUR months on Friday. He is all about going to get his ball when we go outside. It doesn't take these herding dogs long to learn to find some way to engage the humans. I don't play when he asks, it's always my idea. He is also getting much better about sitting at door ways before I let him through.

On the nutrition front, I almost wavered again yesterday. I had a late lunch out with a colleague, and oh how I wanted some desert. No, I stayed strong, and ate a Pear when I got home. It was good, but I still want that desert... I got myself some Cheerios, and had my first bowl last night- not bad. Jeans are a little bit looser. Nothing major, but I feel it. I hope I can stay strong...

The weather has been wet of late, and it looks like at this rate, by the end of next week, I will have to mow the lawn. Oh great. I priced spruce trees- no way I can afford them- we are talking hundreds of dollars for one. Seriously out of my price range.

Well, that's it for now, wish me strength on my quest for better nutrition and looser clothes....

2 comments:

BCxFour said...

Awesome on getting the downs! As you know I deal with the same thing with Bonnie. Respect is respect in and out of the pen. If they dont respect us and treat us like a 'packleader' outside of sheep - how can we expect them to respect our commands around livestock. You are right, it is a no brainer - and one that has taken me a long time to get too.

I loved the idea of you sitting on the rock swale - that must have been fun! Sheep are so funny.

Hang in there on your 'diet'. I struggle with mine daily. I have given up on measuring and counting calories - I am just trying to eat reasonable portions (like only 4 cookies instead of the entire box) and getting ample exercise. Hopefully someday I will be able to see the tops of my thighs again when I am sitting down. *sigh*

Sorry about your spruce tree dreams. I have an apple tree I can chop up and send you if you want it? Seriously...just let me know.

Dancing shepherdess said...

This morning, my new jeans were much looser- well, they were loose when I bought them, but still... I was strong last night again. It's going to be an uphill battle for a while, to break the habit of eating junk, but I think once I get there, it will be okay...
Exercise is increasing too, so that's great.