Friday, July 30, 2010

Sheep, weekend, comments

Okay, boring part first: Any comments not written in English, will not be approved.

Okay, now that the house keeping is done... I stopped by the farm to check the sheep yesterday, and true to form they drank more water than normal, because I gave them the protein block. I moved it further away from the water, up on the hill, and when I got there, they were laying in their normal place, under one of the trees. They look a bit more perky, but then, even though it is still hot, it's not quite as bad as it was. I have heard that there have been sheep losses due to this heat, which are attributed to the high heat, no good fodder left, and possibly, parasite load. Either way, people need to body score their sheep at least once a week and see how they are doing. With wool, it can be hard, but the scoring takes away any ambiguity. Anyway, the sheep are good.

I have decided that I will be buying sheep from breeders, more than likely, Border Leicesters, as I truly love their looks. I guess I am becoming snobby... But, they are the prettiest, and as the scene in the movie "Babe" goes: when Babe the pig goes up to the flock and tells the sheep to move, one of the sheep replies "I am NOT a sheep, I am a registered Border Leicester ewe!" That haughtiness is what I like ;) And, they are a bit like that in real life ;) They have nice clean legs and faces, and I like that too.

My brother got the hitch on the truck, so now we are set for the truck, just need to get the wood on the trailer, which will be next week.

This weekend I am heading out to a sheep camp put on by a friend/trainer. Will head up tomorrow after work, and then stay the night. Danny has a working slot, and Lucy will help out as needed. I am looking forward to getting Danny on different sheep, and socializing with my sheepdog peeps.

I will be really happy when the fair demos are over. Seriously. It's a lot of prep and worry. I just need some time to finish the fence the way I like, and then chill a bit. I also need to make a hay manger. I wish they sold wood/home made ones at retail places! I don't mind being industrious, I just wish being so, didn't mean taking MORE time!

Everyone, have a good weekend!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

And doesn't it seem that often things take three times as long as you think they will:(