Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Good dogs

Been a busy week. No, no B12 shot yet, but today for sure. No running around, save for trip on the way home for dog food and water softener salt (why can't they just deliver it?!). Then, I have to clean the house vacuum, that sort of thing. Got the lawn mowed/trimmed the other day.

Yesterday I worked sheep at a friend's place. I think I have either soured Lucy on driving too much, or prattled on to her. So, I walked with her yesterday, and got her keened up again, which was amazing- the sheep moved much faster, which is not what you want, but for Lucy's psyche, I want that for now.

Danny did well, we are starting to work on driving, and he is getting the "here", and then, when he turns to me, and gets to me, I give him an inside flank. Did some outruns down the hill opposite of pressure and the first one he was short, and my get out meant, apparently, to him, to just slow down, and finally he got around and covered. Lucy always had issues at that end of the field too. Odd. Anyway, then I did two outruns up the hill; nice outrun, lift and fetch. He pushed them a little on the fetch, but I want him just a wee bit less restrained, so I allowed a bit, and then gave him a steady, and he took it. Didn't work him more after that, as I feel that when a dog does something right, it's a good time to stop- plus, it was hot (again).

On the way home, I stopped to drop off the stuff I bought for the truck at the farm and took a look/feel of my sheep. They felt lean to me, so I went and got a protein block at Agway. Oh, incidentally, I gave them some of the new hay- didn't touch it. I guess they like meadow grass more than planted grass!

Lucy helped me- they took off, when they saw us, and I took that opportunity to move the block pan/block up the hill further from the water, and then, I sent Lucy, the entire length of my pasture to get them. Well, she started out okay, and then kicked out nice and wide (away side) and as she approached they darted to the side, and she covered and fetched them. I lay her down in the pasture while I walked them to the block, and she stayed put while I messed around with getting them there. What a good girl!

I bet the sheep will have eaten very well when I get to the farm today. They love that protein block. Unfortunately, they also drink lots of water, so I will have to watch it. I may take the block out today or tomorrow, so they get their butts up in the pasture and eat.

No comments: