Monday, August 2, 2010

We're baaaaaack!

Phew. Good weekend. It was a nice group of folks, a small number, and dogs at all different places in their training. I did get some pics and some video, but that will be in another post.

So, we get to the place, and it has already started- I had to work first, so I was late. I walked the dogs, and then watched the dogs being worked.

Our first session with Danny was pretty good, and we decided most important was working on his fetch pace, which I let slide a bit. His outruns were pretty good and his flanking was good. We also worked on pulling off a fence, which Danny can handle pretty well, but not always the best.

We had dinner out that night, and then I hit the hay, and am glad I brought a book because I needed to quiet my mind.

Sunday we worked on gathers from the other end of the field. Danny's outruns were very good, and I got the pace I wanted by grunting at him if he sped up. We did see that Danny lacks walk up confidence, so I worked him in a smaller area on some Scotties, just walking up. He seems to like that. Danny also lacks eye, so that really flummoxes him when he gets up to sheep. So, it's a problem that I have to work on with him.

The last work of the weekend was the best- beautiful outruns, driving well, and just plain good work.

We hit a major traffic slow up on the Thruway on the way home, and got home later than I wished, but it was good to be home.

Danny slept like a rock last night. So did Lucy. Oh, and Lucy came into heat, I see. Each time it's earlier and earlier.

I checked my sheep on the way home- they feel bony to me. I can't tell if it's because they are older sheep, or what. I just don't know. They are eating the protein block, and are very spritely when worked. I will have to ask some experts.

That's it for now, I will get pics up and video later :)

No comments: