Monday, July 19, 2010

Can you carry me?

Those are the words I'd have liked to say yesterday. This weekend was a blur. The chainsaw guy came out on Saturday and commenced working. While he was there, my brother stopped by and suggested that we light the burn pile (see previous post for size of it). I was nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs at the thought of burning something that big. But, my brother had confidence that we could keep things safe, and we had a water pack and a hose and a back hoe. So, he lit it and POOF, it went up like tinder. The whole pile was down to a mini back yard sized pile in just a few hours. WOW.

Sunday I came back to the farm and ended up helping the guy with the tree pick up and brush removal until 6:00 pm (started at 9:00 am). Mid day I ran home and made pb&j sandwiches, and we ate them in the a/c in the truck. Then back at it. There was SO much to be done. The previous guy I had come basically felled trees, leaving big stumps and just cut the trees into huge pieces, so we had to move, and re cut some of the stuff and also stump. Toward the end, we split up and I went to piles and dragged stuff to the burn pile, which was still going.

At 6:00, we quit. There were a few more trees to come down, but neither he, nor I could go on any more. In fact, I was so tired that I had to have him drive me to my car. I stopped by the deli on the way home and got a slice of pizza and a sunkist soda and when I went to leave, I considered asking someone to help me to my car. That's just how tired I was.

Today my legs are jelly. So tired.

But, the upshot is, and I WILL get pics, that I now have a silo-pastoral field- that's a field where you leave trees, so you get good benefits for trees/grass/animals. I am told that this is where agriculture is going now. So, we are ahead of the game ;)

There are still a bunch of Autumn Olive shrubs, but since the sheep really like them, I chose to leave them as food. I suspect most shrubs won't survive with the sheep defoliating them like they do, so that will be good- less work for me.

So, that was my weekend. Today I feel old and feeble.

No comments: