Monday, July 26, 2010

Getting there

Sunday I did drive to TS to look for a hay manger. Of course, all they had were horse mangers (they sit a bit high off the ground for sheep). I am destined, I suppose, to make my own. So, I left there, stopped at the market, and then ran over to get a bail of hay. When I got to the hay place, I decided I would try the "hay" hay, and not the meadow, which I got last time, to see which they liked better. Only thing was, the "hay" hay was up in a loft, with a flimsy aluminum ladder to use to ascend.... With some trepidation, I began to scale the ladder, and when I reached a truss on the loft floor, I hung onto that. I spied a bail of hay at the edge. Good, because there was NO WAY I was climbing ALL the way up, and off the ladder, and then back on, because no one was there to a) hold the ladder for me (it was like almost completely straight up and down) and b) no one to call the Paramedics when I fell. So, I grabbed and pushed the bail of hay, until it fell. Gratefully I reached the ground and threw the hay in the car, put my $5.00 in the can and headed for home.

When I got home, the plan was to chill a bit, but I called my brother and was convinced to go over to the farm to discuss what we needed to fit the trailer for making it a livestock hauler. I must mention here, I was very tired. I am weak as can be lately, and will get my B12 today!

So, I get to the farm, and my brother lists for me all the stuff we need to get. Then we go out and into the cow pasture where the trailer is, and get it out with the truck I just registered, that will pull said trailer.

We need a new 2" ball and a Reese hitch, but then we are good- oh and a few parts for the truck and of course, then to check the electric, but my brother is mechanical and can address all of the aforementioned.

Before I left I brought the hay into the barn, and noticed my sheep were not by the gate... Hmmm. That's been there station for weeks now (with all the heat they stay there, under the shade). So, I headed up the pasture, and to my delight, I saw them GRAZING. Good gravy Marie, did that make me happy! Good to see them being normal sheep again. We've been getting rain just about every other day, and the grass is really picking up now.

I headed home, made a nice steak dinner and chilled for the evening. Was a fruitful day, and that makes me a happy camper.

No comments: