Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Pub

Okay, first things first... I am a light weight, wimp, you name it. I generally don't go out at night much, and having drinks AND going out at night. Well, suffice to say, it was close, but I survived.

My friend invited me out to meet her and her hubby and some other friends to watch a band that they know I like, and played at their wedding. All day long, I toyed with begging out, but I decided once every 5-10 years, I should make an appearance...

So, I took my shower, got my very best jeans, and sweater out, and got myself ready for a night out. As I was leaving, I grabbed my leather jacket out of the closet. I stopped by the deli to get cash, and this guy turned to look at me. I thought, hey, I must look pretty good!....

So, I get to the restaurant a bit early and stand near the hostess just chatting. Now, she is nice young girl, and relays to me how her PARENTS don't go OUT anywhere, basically, that they are old. Well, I asked how old. Her mother is two years older than me. Talk about crushing me. This girl could be my daughter. OH LORD. I AM OLD, HOW DID IT HAPPEN?????????

So, later, a waitress comes up, and in the most gracious way possible, says "Do you know you have a hanger hanging off your jacket?" OH GOD. THAT'S what that guy was looking at- the creep- he should have told me. So, I hastily take it off and hold it there. I have now been sufficiently mortified between knowing I am OLD and I also too blind/dumb to notice I have a giant metal hanger hanging off my jacket.

My friends arrived about 1/2 hour late, but they got there. We then sat down to a very nice meal- I had garlic strip steak which was just amazing.

So, just as we pay our bill, the band is starting. This is GREAT timing :) So, we head off to a front corner table, which has an older couple at it. My friends asked if we could share. They agreed, and we began our evening enjoyment. Well, the band announces that this couple next to us are celebrating their 49th wedding anniversary. How cool is that? So, I went up and bought them each a drink, and the fun got going.

This band plays the old stuff, like Beetles, Bruce, you name it, and they are GOOD. So, we are listening and soon, we get to dancing. So, the lady who was celebrating her anniversary comes out and we dance (my friend, she, and me) and then I think, yep, I'm old. Okay, no biggy. Then, this girl comes out to dance with me, who I KNOW was holding the hand of some other girl. Great. You all know what I am thinking at this point right? This is NOT the attention I seek.

So, night goes on, libation is flowing, and then I ask if they know Bruce Springsteen. Much to my complete joy, they do. Now this band has a sax player, and a VERY good drummer, as well as keyboardist, and lead guitar.

Well, they broke into "Born to Run". At this point I am OVER JOYED- partially because I had a couple drinks, and partially because I just LOVE this song. So, there I am singing along. Then, I get this mad notion to pretend I am Patty Scialfa, and do the old tambourine slap on my hip... What a visual it must have been. Anyway, it was truly a highlight of the night.

Then, I asked if they knew "Little Sister" by Elvis. They did NOT!!! How could they NOT??? So, I press on. I go up to the drummer, and say it's a really easy riff on the guitar... So, I start singing a bit- "little sister don't you.... little sister don't you do what your big sister done..." So, then, before I know it, the drummer gives me his mic, and I am trying to sing. Now, I just finished singing a bunch of songs, so I was barely getting it out. It was over fast, because the band didn't really know it, but it was fun. Some lady came up and told me I did well....

So, soon it is getting to be about 1:00, and even though I have not turned into a pumpkin, I can feel it coming on. So, I bade my au revoirs, and set for home.

It was just a wonderful night. I think just finally today, I am back to relative normal...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had way too much fun!! I loved it!!