Sunday, January 10, 2010

On What We Really Want

You know, as we age, I think we begin to see things in terms of not "what" will make us happy, but just being happy. I am guilty as anyone at focusing on what will lead to happiness, but you know, I have found more often than not, when you FINALLY get that which you THINK will make you happy, many times you feel empty- like you worked so hard to get there, and your there, finally, and now what?

That statement about how life is a journey, not a destination? Well, more and more, I am settling into that mindset. Just living my life, and seeing where it takes me, and by God, not setting up some imagined need to get goals, to be "happy".

Here I am on my day off, contemplating the day- work dogs, football, and pigs in a blanket for dinner- sounds good eh? Well, to me it does. Then, I think of next week; lots of work no doubt, but I am sure there will be up points there too.

Dogs? I am just happy to have my dogs with me, happy and healthy. In just over a year I have lost two, Cori and Tucker, and their passing has underscored just how important it is to enjoy everyone/everything for what they are, and that nothing is forever, so please take heed. If there is something you have in your life, that sometimes you take a bit for granted, know that the day will come, where you will no longer have the opportunity to share the love you have for them.

I hope that my time on this planet is filled with more good memories, accepting what I have, enjoying what I have, and the little things, and sharing the joy that I feel in every day, surrounded by friends, family and my four footed family (oh, and two footed- lest we forget Ricky and Lucy, the Parakeets).

In closing everyone- I may not be the most exciting person, and I may not have a lot to offer, but I hope I can share with you all my joie de vivre, and that perhaps, for those of you going through tough times, I can be of some support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry. You make a lot of good points.