Sunday, January 24, 2010

Confrontation and Zen moments

After work yesterday, I went to work sheep with Lucy and Danny. I was so not wanting to- my shoulder kept me up all night (appt with Dr for that on Monday, thank goodness), but I just sucked it up and went. The dogs deserve as much. Though, I can tell you, that I would not have been adverse to dropping the little ones off, as if a kid going to piano lessons, and when done, picking them up, and asking them how it went ;)

Anyway, I started with Lucy- she did very well. She took every single stop whistle, and we even got two nice sheds in. The sheep started getting sick of the game at one point though, and as I sent her on a fetch, and she arrived at the top, one sheep split off, and Lucy just zeroed in on her- just like a shed- allowing her friends to escape up the hill- So I started up toward her and said "GET BACK!!!" and she did, fine as can be. She so loves a good one on one confrontation- much more fun walking into the faces, then up the butts ;) But, I was really pleased with Lucy, bottom line.

Danny did well- again, didn't split the sheep when we started. When we first started out runs, I was close to the holder, but that seemed to mess Danny up, because it looked like he was working the sheep to the holder- which I understand, because Danny works for him too! Anyway, we decided to stretch out the outrun. Problem fixed. Danny did VERY well. He's a bit slower at the top on his come by - he may be leaning toward being short- but I won't allow that. His away, he can sometimes over flank, but he didn't yesterday, even though I ran up there to prevent it ;)

Danny runs out so fast and happy for his outruns, I am really happy about that. I could get him wider, a tad, but he's young enough, I know it will come, so I won't mess with it, unless it deteriorates.

When we were finished with Danny, we were just chatting, and Danny lay down calmly, looking at the sheep, but not UP, just ready for the next command, but if there weren't one, he wouldn't die either- it was a Zen moment. That's it. Danny's Zen is working sheep. He doesn't look that way at home. Nothing quite rises to this level for him- even though he loves fetch, it's more of a compulsion, than an work instinct.

Anyway, that's what we did. Then, I came home, made a nice ham steak, and then eclairs for desert, and then all the animal planet shows. It was a nice day, and today, I am going to RELAX.

No comments: