Sunday, December 20, 2009

Top of the morning to you

So, let's see. Yesterday, we had a forecast of upwards of 7" of snow, which around these parts is not really a big deal. Nevertheless, when I hit the grocery store yesterday, it was MOBBED. Barely found a parking spot. It was like Apocalypse now. People were just stocking up. Give me a BREAK! At one point I walked down the aisle with pancake mix, and people were snapping that up- like they were going to be snowed in or something. Well, I bought what I needed, headed home, and did the usual stuff, and then made a very nice meal. I had the butcher cut me a nice sirloin steak (enough for two meals), and I bought a couple of sweet potatoes, and another veggie.

Well, that meal was stupendous. That sweet potato was to die for, seriously. MMMM MMM. Today, I will make chocolate chip cookies- not sure what is on the menu, as I HAVE to finish shopping!

This morning, that big storm? A dusting, and only, as far as I could see, on my front steps- so little, my foot could brush it off. What henny pennies these people are. BUT, Long Island, NJ, VA, and MD got almost 2 feet. Poor them- they can have it though!

There was a great show on yesterday "Snow Blind" about a woman who is legally blind, running in the Iditarod. She had to scratch before the finish because she had to retire so many dogs. You know, we talk about athletes in the form of sheep dogs, well, these sled dogs? A thousand miles? They are the real athletes. They go until they cannot go. Thank goodness for the good vets at the check points. Dogs scratched off the team get flights back home.

Tonight is another Raw Anatomy program- this time on the African Elephant- should be great. You know, when I read about other people eschewing the tv because it is all bad programming, I have to say, they are missing some seriously good stuff. Yeah, there is bad stuff, but for the most part, I am good at selecting decent, entertaining and educational programs.

Okay, I have another beef. Maybe it's because I spent my childhood summers at my gp's farm, and, because I worked horse farms for several years as my first job, so I know lots of things most people SHOULD know before they obtain livestock.

Here are some good rules to follow, when considering bringing livestock home:

1) Invest in good fencing. Start small, and add on as you can- think of predators, and if you will need to hot wire (offset) the bottom, and don't go short on height.

2) Invest in good shelter. Tarp buildings, unless they are built to professional specs, and guaranteed, will do nothing but rip, and collapse in the winter, leading to at best, crappy shelter, and at worst, injured animals. Real farmers/ranchers, invest in their barns- you will note that their barns are often better built than their homes.

3) In the fall, you need to get good hay. If you make it yourself, great, if not, don't buy the cheapest moldiest garbage- and if you have horses, and buy the aforementioned, you will pay in vet bills.

4) In the winter, plan for freezing water buckets/tanks. Get a electrical de-icer before winter hits, and make sure you know how to use it. Animals should not have to wait for you to go outside and break the ice.

5) In winter, it's best that animals are left out as much as possible, as this will keep their feet healthier, and prevent all sorts of nasties from spreading at close quarters.

6) Real ranchers and farmers make sure that the animals needs are met before our own.

7) Don't get animals unless you want a top shelf operation. We do not need anymore "farms" that maintain animals in sub-par conditions, just so they owners can say they have them. These animals should be treated better than, well, almost anything. They bring income in, and they help feed/house you. They deserve that.

No comments: