Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My girl, epiphany and cookies

Yesterday morning it was very cold- some where in the low twenties. I trundled out the door to throw the ball for Danny, and the Frisbee for Lucy. Danny doesn't care a bit about bad weather. Lucy, however... We didn't play long because I was afraid Danny would cut his pads on the ice. At one point as I was watching Danny, Lucy came up and gently slid her head under my hand. It was quite a moment. We were just us, together. Anyway, I took it as a more practical sign, that she was cold, and we should head in... So we did.

Today, I am making Chocolate Chip cookies. Yum. Going to start them now... Okay, got the first batch in the oven... Cleaning a bit today- this is a good thing :)

So, what was the epiphany you may ask? Well, I felt like I had been spinning my wheels with Danny. He was making little progress, as it was a battle with his slicing in, although it was getting less and less. I just didn't like his too fast approach, almost not thinking.

So, this last time I worked him, I decided no more whip, or stick just me. Me who was not in a particular jovial energetic mood. Me who was going to work my dog, not react- just work him. So, I go out there, stand up tall, and stayed calm. I had a different dog by miles, I mean many many miles. Danny just worked- calmly. Thought of getting tight maybe once, but no, not really. I even had him doing small gathers. He was so nice behind the sheep, kept his head low, behind, and lay down when asked. It was huge. A major breakthrough, and all because I changed how I comported myself. I feel like we will make very good progress now because both our heads are in the right place.

No comments: