Friday, December 25, 2009

An awakening

I have not been very festive lately- I think it's because I have been so busy, and don't ever seem to have time to just stop and smell the roses as it were.

Yesterday I was in no mood to head up to my parent's house later in the day, after working. I was tired, had a stomach ache, and just wanted to skip it. At one point, I got up to check on Lucy and Danny in the yard. They were playing like pups. I stopped and was entranced. Lucy had found a big branch that she was prancing around with, and then would put it down and rip bark off it. Danny did this too. Then they would wrestle. It completely changed my mood. I felt like someone above was showing me for the millionth time, it was time to stop and enjoy the small things.

I got ready, and headed out to my parents. We had some wonderful finger food, and Norwegian cookies, and the best cinnamon Spritz cookies ever made. They were THAT good. Then, we headed to Church. We are Lutheran. It was to be a candle light service. We sang myriad Christmas songs, and the Pastor O'Rourke had a great sermon. And you know what? The primary topic in his sermon was that of the lamb draped on a shepherd's shoulders, and the affect it had on the baby Jesus, and he went on about shepherds, sheep, lambs, etc. I sat there thinking how apropos. I am sure glad I went. The candlelight part, where the lights were turned off and we all sang Silent Night, was just great. There were so many candles, you thought there were lights on, somewhere....

After the service, we went home, had more cookies, and opened up presents, and then it was time for me to head home, and hit the sack, as I had to work the next day.

On the way home, I heard golden oldies like "The cold, and the heat miser", and "Grandma got run over by a reindeer", and I just had to smile. There is something so familiar and well, memory filled by these types of odd songs...

So, got home, let the dogs out and headed to bed. This morning I awoke a little later than normal, and went out and ran the dogs.

It dawned on me sometime afterward, while making coffee, that 2010 won't be filled with things I want to do, it will be filled with the person I want to be, the acceptance of what I have, and not always striving to "get something". I want to make my house more a home, and have friends and family over more. I want to just live each moment to the fullest, and I won't dwell on the haters in this world, who just like to have a go at me (either directly, or more commonly, by trying to create drama, that doesn't exist). They are not worth my time. Life is short, and I aim to fill it with happy, giving, friendly people.

I am forever on the search for a nice piece of land to call my own, near my house. I won't be looking to move house, but it would be nice to lease some farm land. But, it won't be all encompassing anymore. It just can't be. I have to enjoy my life, live it to the fullest, and to hell with nay Sayers.

So, in closing, I would like to thank our Pastor, and Church for showing me what's really important, and that is love, and living life to the fullest. My grandfather used to say, "I am not rich, but I am the richest man I know", and by that he meant, that he felt fulfilled, and that's because he knew how to enjoy the small things, and appreciate everything around him, for it is all a gift.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

No comments: