Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rough

So, Dan and I ran at the Chatham sheepdog trial on the weekend.  It was an utter failure.  Wow, I was shocked and dismayed, and frankly, worried about my dog.

It is a long outrun- 400+ yards.  Flat field.  hedge row to run past and it is thicker on the right (this becomes important).  Our first run, I sent Dan out and he took his re-directs but was still flat, and pushed the sheep to the right.  I walked up and whistled a bit (the sheep were now out of sight behind the trees).  Then I see Dan come back, with no sheep and the sheep had been pushed down toward us for exhausting and we did so.  So weird- to have him come back like that.

The next run was basically a repeat of the first.  Sent him - he was tight,  took re-directs, but was flat again and pushed them, apparently to the set out and then dropped in behind them, and just came back to me.  It was the strangest thing I have ever seen him do.  I think he was out of his depth there, totally, 100% and was not confident enough to work for me that far away.  I think he may have just felt that the sheep were fine with the set out person...  

Lots of tough runs, some good ones.  Hindsight says this trial is just not something I should have ever imagined was a good idea... boy, an expensive stupid move on my part!

Other than that!  it was a nice trial, good weather, saw some trial friends and the trial ran very smoothly.

Another trial this weekend, and let's hope Dan will bring me the sheep... I hope he can, as if not, there is  no reason to trial him....


2 comments:

Kathy said...

Have you been able to work him at different places?? It just may be that he needs that?

Dancing shepherdess said...

We haven't been a lot of places, so I think that was a factor.