Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Half way through the week. January doesn't seem to go very fast... It's only surpassed by February in terms of time of year we would like to not think about ;)

I saw an ad on craigslist for land near me for a free lease. It's only three miles away. The only hitch is that I as the lessee, would need to gross $10000 a year to get the owner his ag exemption. I just cannot see doing that without a TON of TIME, and of course a lot of capitol. I thought about it a lot, and I just don't see how I could do it on my own, and I do not want to go into business with someone else. But, all that thinking about it did get me thinking about what I want to do with my sheep.

I have decided to purchase at least 10 more ewes this spring- either NCC or Border Leicesters, and I would ultimately like to keep about 50 breeding ewes. But, I will need more graze. My friend has a field I can use, as long as I fence it in. It will be near his place and I can rotate sheep out there. The goal will be to over winter no more than 50 sheep. If hay were free, that would be another thing.

It is time to fish or cut bait as they say. I need to earn some $$ on these sheep. And, I need to do it ASAP.

It was so cold yesterday. We are up to six laps (three miles) around the field, and I feel a lot better in many ways. But, it was so cold I got really wind burned on parts of my legs, right through my jeans. Today I will have to wear long johns... Dogs are so fit. Dan has lost a lot of weight due to all this exercise. I have to up his food intake, and probably start him back on the yogurt again. They took off after deer yesterday, but were not gone long....

Well, that's it for now. Hope every one's having a great week!

No comments: