Tuesday, March 1, 2011

So, lambing has started at John's. I took some pics of the lambs, and some of the other animals there, but I still have to order them before I post them. So far all singles. There were two ewe lambs born over the weekend, and then another one yesterday. This one was a ram lamb. He didn't look great and never got milk from mom by the time I got there. While there we tipped the ewe and I tried to get milk from her- it was a battle, and I didn't have much hope. He latched on and sucked, but such tiring work for such little benefit.

I gave him a bottle, and though his mother was attentive, he just never found the right place. Odds were greatly against him- he was just so small, and mother could have been healthier.

When I got to the farm today, John told me the lamb had died. It was for the best, I believe. Another lamb was born today, a ram lamb. Looks good. Vigorous, and sturdy.

That little guy was cute though. I would have brought him home and bottle fed him after we got some colostrum in him, but probably, given his small stature and generalized weakness, he would not have made it.

Today is a bright and sunny day, albeit cold and the snow is ICY. Not able to run the dogs on this stuff. I am SO sick of this. I hope we get some warm weather soon. I have the tree guy coming the end of this week to remove more trees from pasture and also start clearing so I can add onto this pasture. Want to get this done before the ground thaws, and it's a mud pit and therefore destroys the ground.

Well, that's it for now!

No comments: