Sunday, March 13, 2011

I think the reason I felt so down yesterday, is partially because I am working so many hours, driving 40 miles a day for sheep chores, and also, I just don't feel well lately. Always cold and feeling weak. It's weird. I get in bed at like 6:00 pm- that's early even for me. Yesterday I made blts for dinner and then to bed.

During the day yesterday, I got to the farm in the morning, and then I WORKED THE DOGS! Danny first. Still need to work on him in small areas with sheep, it's just not his shining moment... But, after a little reminder of how to get OUT of it, then he was good. Started using the away whistle, and hopefully soon, both will stick with the lad. He worked real nice yesterday and actually, when he got up and walked to his sheep a few times, he WALKED not walked FAST. You could see he was thinking. I worked Lucy too. I have decided I am just not going to trial her. I just don't want to fight with her. Her need to go to the head over rides EVERYTHING. No worries though, she's still my first mate. If I NEED a job done no matter what, Lucy is there for me. I have no worries about aggressive sheep and Lucy, and I have no worries about ever losing a sheep.

So, I am on the hunt for another dog to trial... I would like a female, as males are not the bees knees for me. The dog I was planning to get did not work out. Life has a way of doing that... But, I am in no rush.

On the way back from the farm yesterday, I stopped at Johns. Watered the ewes/lambs, and did a head count- up to 10 lambs, all singles except for one set of twins. Probably due to the drought last fall, and sharing their pasture with starving beef cattle (owned by someone else). Thankfully the cattle have been sold. We lost two lambs the first and second born- first one to an old mother who just had barely any milk, and the second, I have no idea- just never got going. The ram was left out with the ewes all year, so this is a longer than usual lambing season. I feel like I am learning a lot just by helping out at John's, so next spring, I won't be, well, shocked by anything- I hope!

Today I am moving slow again. Have to go to farm and work dogs when there, then stop at John's place, check things, and then home. I am thinking sandwich for dinner today. Not in the mood to cook, or have left overs to deal with.

Well, that's it for now.

No comments: