Friday, March 25, 2011

Another Friday. Good for that. Except of course for losing my stupid car key. I am using my spare, but I have no idea where the key disappeared to- later I will search the driveway and laundry hamper...

Kylie ate the other dog bed- she makes a hole and tears out the stuffing. Bummer for her, because Nikke will take the only bed left, Lucy is on my bed, so Kylie will be without a bed. Too bad so sad.

Lambing has continued at Johns'. Not a huge number, and probably more singles at this point than twins. I believe in part it is due to the drought last fall, and sharing pasture with the beef cattle who basically ravaged the fields and left the sheep with no grazing. They are gone now, thankfully. We did tails with the Berdizzo tool the other day- I caught everyone up and held while John crushed/cut, and then put on stop bleeding powder. We only did the ewes, so now we know how many boys :) Since then we've had just a few born, and I think most are all boys. Boys go to the meat market, and girls are being kept- and I will take a bunch of them.

I worked Danny yesterday- inside flanks/whistles and general stuff- we need lots of work on. He has his come bye whistle, but his away, doing that and interchanging with come by, well, he's confused. It will take some time, I have decided, and I have to go slow. Was not a great session yesterday, today I will lighten up a bit. I do love to work him, and he's so easy, you take for granted what he can do, but forget he's still very young, and I did most of his training! He sure slept well last night though!

Will work in the field again this weekend, and get the seed in- probably on Sunday. Sheep, when they were let out in the field to work them yesterday, they were kicking their heals up. It was very nice to see! Oh, and I had to check one of the Border Leicester's feet yesterday, so I had Lucy keep them to me. Well, I am very proud- I did it just right so that she just sort of collapsed gently onto her butt/side. YES! Just like I saw the shearers do. My goal is to get better at this so less fight, less stress. Previously, I got them flipped, but it wasn't so smoothly...

I have to think about making an appointment to get the girls sheared- need to contact the woman who wants the fleece- this will be great to have someone use it.

Well, that's it for now. Here's to a great weekend all around, and maybe to a little bit of relaxing and fun!

No comments: