Friday, November 2, 2012

What a day, and I need a nice country singin' man...

That's what I said to myself when I heard the song "Carrying your love with me" by George Strait this morning.  Yes, I need a nice country singin' man...

Yesterday, I went to the camper dealership and first we did the demo of the thing.  When I walked into the garage I was immediately taken with how big it was.  It did NOT seem that big when I saw it last... I started to get a bit nervous.  Then, we continued on all the instruction and my eyes started to glaze over with the information and warnings.   The last part was winterization, which just about did me in... there was no way I was going to be able to remember all that stuff.....

So, we go inside and I sit with the financial guy, who is nice by the way, and he looks at me and he says "are you sure?"  and I said "No, I'm not".  So began my several minutes of indecision.  I sat there and started signing the papers and finally, I said I have to go outside and make a call.  Besides the hugeness of the thing, was the hugeness of the financing, which would have doubled the end price of it... that did not sit well with me. 

So, I went outside and called my sister, THANK GOD for her..  I was in tears, I kid you not.  Disappointed with myself, scared.  Never have I even been in such a state... We talked for a few minutes and she allowed me to say my fears, and realize this was just not for me.  I knew if I paid that much for it, I would end up hating it.  So, I went in and told the finance guy.  He said okay, but he had to tell the sales manager.  That guy was irritated.  So, the finance guy said go home and he would hold the paperwork, but after dealing with the sales guy and his attitude, I said no need for me to go home, just rip it up.  In the meantime, they had already started installing the hitch.  HOURS and HOURS I sat there.  At one point they had an employee drive me to get lunch at the nearby diner, as my blood sugar was plunging.

After seven hours?  The sales manager tells me the car is ready, and here's the bill.  They GOUGED me.  They told me when I was planning to get the camper, they would throw in the hitch/brake assist etc., for $600.00, but now that I was not getting it, it is now $1200.00.  I was too tired to fight.  I had to pay that and just get the hell out of there.  Today I will be getting estimates from other places, and see if they were way off, and if they were demand a partial refund.

I got home last night and had a beer and pb/j for dinner and read my book and went to sleep.  I have never had such an over-wrought day ever.  I believe I did the right thing, even though it was expensive (the hitch), but I can use that hitch, if I ever find a cheap camper I am comfortable with, and for a stock trailer.  What a day. 

This morning I heard that song "Carrying your love with me" by George Strait and I said "I need a good country singin' man".  Word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry it ended up being such a bad experience. My poor son was jerked around for over a week by a used car salesman and the business owner this summer. I normally don't tell my son what he needs to do since he is a young adult, but this time I told him it was best to walk away. He agreed and is now relieved that he did.

Sorry, but I am going to give you some unsolicited advice. You can ignore the rest of this paragraph if you choose to. *Please take your time and don't rush into anything. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something when your instinct says not to. I have learned this from experience in more than one situation in my life.*

I really think you are meant to have a camper as it is the most beneficial option for you and your dogs. The right one will come across your path one of these days. I also hope the nice country singin' man comes along for you soon.

Valerie

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks Valerie, and I will keep looking, but I won't go into deep debt as I have enough of that now. As I age, I realize that I will not be working forever. Some day I will find that perfect little camper, some day.