Monday, November 19, 2012

The trial

This weekend I attended our last trial for the year.  There is one more, but it will be too far away, I am afraid... But, maybe...

Anyway, I left early Saturday morning, as I was not due to run until later in the day, and I just wanted one night in a hotel; this makes it so much easier on my sister who takes care of my animals (and my sheep this time!)  I got to the site, and watched some runs, and helped in the pen just a very short time before my slated time.

The handlers post was situated on a small knoll, and not sure how far away the sheep were.  I sent Dan to the right and he had a nice outrun and lift- he lifted them nicely and had a decent fetch.  Turned the post, had a good driveway, and also hit the cross drive panels.  Sheep were moving comfortably, Dan had them calm, but respectful.  Got them to the pen and got two in.  One stalled halfway out facing in.  The two that were in were facing out.  I knew that if I had Dan walk up, they would have busted out, as they were as far back as they could go.  I stomped, I jumped up and down, blew in her ear, and even moved so she could see Dan better, and finally she went in.  Phew.  Then, it was time for.... the..... shed.....

Sheep were still calm and so was Dan.  After a short time I got them lined up, two facing one direction, one facing the other, and called Dan in, and he came in and he took the single, and I walked him up (for the shed, you could take the sheep anyway, but your dog had to hold it for a time)...  Then, the horn beeped signaling we got our shed!!!! We did the shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Our score was 86, and put us at 9th, and we even got some points toward qualifying for the nationals!

I was very happy with Dan.  After our run, I watched more runs, and brought Joe out to watch, but honestly, he found even that boring because he wanted to do something ;)  I then went to the hotel, checked in and then back to the trial site for the handler's dinner.   It was amazing.  Roast Turkey, potatoes and then everyone brought side dishes.   I was lame and brought some croissants and pumpkin pie, as I did not know how I would keep anything being that I was in a hotel... Anyway, the food was just great.  Some folks brought some hot buttered rum, and a great time was had by all.  I ate way more than I needed.  Finally, it was time to get back, and hit the hay.  It was cold.  No dogs allowed in the hotel.  I thought I would adhere to that rule, but when I saw another handler at the hotel and he said he would bring his dogs in, I figured I should too- it was in the low twenties that night... So, I brought Dan and Joe in.  I did not want Dan to get a crampy back from freezing all night.  Joe paced for a few hours (as he does not ever not sleep in a crate) and then they both slept all night.  Not me- no clock in the room and since I was first on the line Sunday, I was afraid I would over sleep... So, I got very little sleep...

Sunday came and I ended up being first on the line.  It was very very cold and the ground was white.  That's bad....  I walked to the post, had Dan look at the sheep and was going to just let him go right, but saw one lamb bolting to the left, so I sent him come by.  He was almost up the middle, and then, he kicked out and went deep, like all the way to the set out pens.  And then he stopped- he did not see the sheep.   I had to lie him down, then say, "look" and then when he saw them, have him walk up, and then flank him around... So, he lifted his sheep, and they were buggered, so we got them through the fetch panels, around the post, through the drive away, they were high for the cross drive and then we did not get the shed- they were stuck like glue to each other, so also no pen.  A very bad run indeed!  Several more had very similar runs, except for the outrun. I asked the set out person when she thought and she said he did not see the sheep, that they blended in with the white frost...

I stayed for just a few more runs and headed home.  Beat as can be.  Walked the dogs, fed the sheep and home. 

Over all it was a great weekend.

No comments: