Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Training, hay

Hey everyone!  Don't know where the time has gone... Really... Well, I guess part of aging is getting forgetful?  Well, anyway....

On Sunday I drove down to my friend's place to work the dogs.  Dan did great.  We did not work on any shedding, as doing it every day at my place, I figured I would give him a break.  Joe did well too.  We did a few outruns with my friend holding and he's getting that.  He will need more practice but this winter will be good for that.  I am selective as to who I will let hold for him since he's so young, I don't want him to have a bad experience....

I honestly don't remember what I did Saturday...  Not good...

Anyway on Monday, I got to the farm and noticed that my brother had taken a section of fence down (it was there temporarily) and knocked a tree down right in front of the barn.  So, the sheep had to be locked out of the barnyard and I was not happy, because I put them in there to shed some off to use for Joe.  Thankfully, the sheep were smart, and handled the blockage fine, by going around. 

Joe: Joe is learning driving, getting more and more comfortable with it.  I am also asking for him to be sure he takes the right direction when given a flank command.  I am not doing outruns at my field, as the sheep just take off too fast.  Need to have a fun day at my place so we can practice :)

Dan: Dan is coming along really nice in shedding.  Now, instead of the sheep just running behind me, he's calm enough that they avoid me and will split on their own (with my help) and I can call him in and walk him up on the group I want.   By George I think he's getting it!  He sure seems a lot calmer.  I am so happy with Dan.  He's been a perfect first open dog for me.

Sheep are good.  The new ram lamb is doing well and the runty lamb is okay.  Color looks better and she will stay, I have decided for training purposes, as if the adult ewes are bred, I will only have a few sheep for training in the spring.  The hay I got is annoying me.  There are several really stemmy bales.  Sheep don't eat stems, and they REALLY don't eat alfalfa stems...  I am going to have a chat with my hay guy about the issue.  Not every bale is all stems, but many are...

This weekend is the last trial of the year.  I found a hotel that is close and not too expensive, will only be staying one night and heading back home after I run early on Sunday.  Then, that's it until next year!  I would like to have a fun day at my place but will have to see what every one's schedules are.



No comments: