Monday, November 26, 2012

Sheep, winter, dogs

Finally got set up for winter, wrt to the sheep.  They've got their bigger water tub and heater set up near the barn, and I brought them up to see it.  I always worry when you move things like that that they will find them.... So, I got them in to the barn yard and they all had a look see, and then they were back off again. 

In a few weeks I will be starting to grain everyone.  Some time mid December, moms to be will have to be on grain, and I will gauge it carefully, as the hay is pretty rich.  The ram lamb looks quite plump...  When that happens, I will really be tied down for a bit, but then, I have no plans to go anywhere anyhow...

Spoke to the hay guy, and he will save me hay until some time in January, as the stack is really high as it is, and I don't want to add to it now (I hate climbing that high as it is!).  This is good news, and then I can decide if I need more or less than I am estimating.  For now, one bale a day is doing it... But, if we get really cold snowy conditions, that may change- hope not...

Dogs are good.   I have decided to lay off working Joe quite as much as he has the basics, and I so love his keen nature, I don't want to quell that at all, and I think too much drilling ruins young dogs.  So, that said, one day on, one day off will be the name of the game.  Have some new things to work on too... he should love them; I hope!

I see I am getting well and truly hooked on working these dogs... It's scary....


No comments: