Thursday, June 30, 2011

Danny has really given me everything I wanted. A willing partner, fast to learn, happy, and above all just a good dog. I always liked his father Glen. It's funny, sometimes when a dog, or person passes, people remember them fondly, and sometimes, they don't. Glen was not an incredible dog, he was simply a good dog. He NEVER let Warren down, ever. He always made his work look easy. Someone once told me "you know, some people thought Glen was weak". I mentioned that to one of the clinicians I saw this year. He asked me, "did he ever get stuck?" I said no. Did he grip? No, So, they asked, "why did they call him weak?" I had no answer. He replied, well, maybe he was just good at moving sheep. Yes, I guess you are right.



His name was “Glen”


At first glance, I suppose, he wasn’t anything special
Just another black and white, with a wee bit of brown

Glen had an unassuming air about him
But that belied the fire to do what he was bid

When Glen walked out to the field
He was happiness and light

But when it came time to send him
His eyes turned black as night

He would fly through the field
The wind blowing in his mane

At the top he would know just where to stop
And do as he was bade

As he ushered the sheep down through the field
They moved without worry, for they trusted this dog

If a sheep would balk or scatter
Glen would just put her back, no matter

At the shed he was smooth, it wasn’t a big deal
He made it look easy, but his focus you could feel

At the pen he had a way that always calmed his sheep
See, Glen KNEW he would pen them, for him a simple feat

His runs weren’t exciting, not many, anyway
They were simply Glen going in his workman-like way

When he finished his run, he knew he’d done well
Maybe a pat on the head, or a good boy he’d hear

The only thing he desired was his master to be near

Glen was the epitome of a sheepdog

To his last day he remained faithful
To his work, to his master


Just a dog named Glen
Who will ne’er be replaced

The trial field feels a bit empty

Now that Glen is gone

Rest well old man, your work here is done

No comments: