Monday, June 13, 2011

Life is busy, but it's good. Danny would maybe disagree, because he has had little work lately, but tonight that will change. I have been busy working on things around the house and farm, and we also broke because of the heat. It's going to be good temps all week, so I am psyched about that.

So, let's see.... The fence guy who said he would come by on Tuesday to finish, free of charge, unless his dentist appointment caused too much pain, did not come Tues. He said he would come Friday. I called him Friday, knowing full well, since I did not hear from him, that he would not. I knew as soon as I spoke with him he wouldn't be coming. He then regaled me with how he was sick from the heat, and blah blah blah. He said he would come Monday or Tuesday and I said "I can't wait that long". And I meant it. I asked him some questions about the fencing and then hung up.

Then, I called both Tractor Supplies near me and asked if they had sheep/goat fence in stock. One of them had all I needed (I had measured the field earlier), and I said "great, I will be in". It was at that point that I decided "in for a penny, in for a pound". I am going to fully commit myself to my sheep keeping and invest more $$ toward a goal of having enough room to keep a breeding flock. I have one life to live and I am going to grab it and not be afraid of anything anymore.

So, I called my friend John who drove me to get the fence, and we dropped it off at the farm, and then me at my house. I then put an ad on craigslist for fence help and one out of the two that offered to work, showed up. We worked for two days and all but about 40 feet are done. Sheep were in there all day yesterday when we worked, and boy did they eat. It appeared that weeds were the favorite item. They usually rest more, but it was cool, so they were happy.

Before I could leave, I had to put the sheep back in the other pasture, and I sent Lucy to get them. They were in a wooded section. I sent her, and they came running and I put the sheep up. Then, Lucy ran back to the pasture they came from and ran out again. I had absolutely no idea what she was doing, save for may just running around, but out of the woods came two lambs. I had no idea that they were there, but Lucy did. We got them in the field with the others and I just shook my head in amazement at my Lucy.

So, today I will finish the fence, and start putting a few more t-posts in, and the sheep will have new digs!

No comments: