Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ah to be young again

I remember back when I used to work on farms for a living and before that, when I spent my summers at my grand parent's farm. I loved that life living on the farm in the summers. I didn't miss TV, and I loved animals; always have. As I grew a bit, I got jobs working on horse farms. Worked 6-7 days a week in all weather, and worked hard. I was thin, fit and even had energy to burn the candle at both ends, so to speak- you know, go out at night, that sort of thing.

There was a time when all I thought about was getting land, so I could have a farm- then I would be happy, I thought. Then, I thought, if I can't buy land, I will lease it, then, I would be happy, I thought. Then, I went back to searching for more property. Then I had an epiphany. The epiphany was that my inner happiness is not derived from geography, or land ownership, it's obtained in appreciating what I have. Not a constant drive to be something that I am not quite yet, or to get something I don't have yet. I believe it's just a normal part of aging. As you age, you begin to realize that life is what happens when you are making other plans (thanks John Lennon).

There are some who believe that following a plan to either get something, or live a particular life style is all that is important. My friends, I am here to tell you, that if you chose to live your life in that mind set, you will never be happy. You will spend your time lamenting how much there is still to do to obtain your goal, and then apologize for not being appreciative for what you have. You will spend your time selling your life goals to myriad people who long to live just like you. You will spend your time on the illusion you are trying to create, instead of just being you.

I am just a person who has what I need, and is happy with it. Some days I do wish things were a wee bit different, but I am by and large pretty happy with what I've got. No one gave me what I have. I am LIVING MY LIFE. MY life, not some sort of dreamt up schematic of what would make me happy.

I lay my head down at night happy with my life. I believe that if I am meant to have this or that, it will happen. If I get property that would be cool, but if I don't that would be cool too. I will not spend my time selling my dream to others, in an effort to get support- heck, they have their own lives. My blog is just about the day to day effort of someone who is enjoying the life she has.

Please, everyone, enjoy each day. Don't waste it away reaching for some endpoint that will make you what you want to be. The joy in life is the journey, not the getting there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wise words. I need to think on them a bit! :)