Friday, August 13, 2010

TGIF!

I am very glad it is Friday. Seriously. This week just wasn't "fun" for me, and I was beat. But, it's all behind me now!

At the farm yesterday, I went up with Lucy to check the sheep, and had brought a couple flakes of hay and a little corn with me. They really wanted the corn, so I figured once we got them started down the goat trail, they would stop. No, not my sheep. They went down, and took off along the other fence line. Lucy covered, and then I brought her out, and they partook of the corn- and left the hay. There must be enough to eat in there if they ignore the hay... They look better; more filled out to me, so that is good. The weather was a bit cooler, and you can really see that they enjoy life so much more when they are not so hot.

As soon as the fair is over, I will get some help and get the alley way to the barn set up, and get the barn cleaned up (again). That way, we are set for winter. My friend is going to build me a hay manger if I pay for the materials, so I am psyched about that!

I may also have a few more trees taken down, but I am going to wait until winter for that, so there is less damage to the soil. We left some big evergreen trees up, and they are taking too much space. I WILL though, seed with pasture mix later this month. I need to build this area up, as it won't suffice with heavier stocking loads. My mind is also on getting some more land cleared, but that will be done with an excavator. I already know who I will hire for it. That will also be this winter. Lots of things to do, but all toward the goal of finally getting some nice farm land with lots to eat for all the animals.

Some day, my goal would be to move to the farm (shhh). We will see about that...

This weekend I plan to work the dogs a bit, especially Danny on sorting and odd stuff which makes him get in close and personal with sheep. My sheep won't take him on, but they will balk at being penned, which I think is JUST what Danny needs.

Oh, one more thing- since I have had my dogs on Acana Prairie food, the shedding has decreased incredibly. Very little hair around. AWESOME!

1 comment:

BCxFour said...

Acana is the BEST food!