Saturday, August 7, 2010

I wonder if I could fit in the trunk?

I uttered those words today, when my parents told me that they were heading out west to see Yellowstone, and Mt Rushmore. My mother had been to the former as a kid, but I don't think my father has. I would *really* love to go, but alas, the fair happens straight in the middle of the trip. But, I think this has lit a spark in me to plan a trip out west. Maybe not even bring a dog, just me and a good friend, sorta like Thelma and Louise, without the drama. I would love a convertible to go out there in!!!! COOOOOOL!!!

I worked Danny at the farm today, and I am getting more and more comfortable doing that with him. He's pretty solid on not slicing and he's listening well. Plus, this pasture is a real mix of hill and dale, so he has to really pay attention to his sheep. This is something he hasn't really had to do much of, so it's great for him. I also worked a bit on walking up and driving, which can be hard (the driving) because there is pressure every where in that field. Danny is fun to work. He listens, and I don't have to yell (did you hear that Lucy). Man has he come far. Just a few weeks from now will be a year since I had him at the demos and wondered if he would ever be able to work sheep ;) This year he will be working at the demos.

The pasture has more growth in it now, and the sheep look good. I think they did lose weight when I fed that protein block. I have been told that if you provide high protein in the summer, they lose weight due to having to metabolise all that fodder. Still, I have hay out for them, and they are not eating it, so I believe I have covered all bases.

I am so glad I started out with just a few sheep. I believe that when you start a new endeavor, you should a) start small, and b) do it the best you possibly can. I call them my "beta" or test sheep ;)

No comments: