Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Surgery

One handed I am, so bear with me. When I got to the surg center, the weather was horrendous. I silently hoped that the surgery would be canceled, but seeing my Dr walk in dashed my hopes.

I get called in for the prep. Prep nurse who put in the i.v. really hurt me, and had the temerity to get angry at me for moving (not my arm but the rest of me). So, it's in, and I lay there. Adjacent to me is a little six year old crying while trying to negotiate with the anesthesiologist, to wait. Finally, it's his time, and I hear the Dr. order two Versed (sedative) for the little guy.
I make a mental note...

So, a little while later, the nasty nurse comes to tell me I have to get a nerve block (Scalene). This will completely numb my arm, but it will be somewhat uncomfortable. Now if SHE says it will be uncomfortable....

So, in comes the Anesth, and he plops two large barrelled syringes on my stomach. Then my Dr stops in, and tells me about the block, at which time I tell him 4 Versed would be good for me. he chuckles. So, then it is time for thee block. I had to turn to the right, and stay still. Apparently I was not good, because said Anesth, said "This isn't working" I was immediately thereafter rendered helpless, by more Versed, and then, I got the block. I was then whisked away to the O.R., and within no time at all was knocked out.

When I awoke, I had an acrid taste in my mouth, and was duly informed that I had vomited when they extubated me. I lay there for a bit, and the Dr comes in to tell me that the cartilage was ripped off the bone in two places, that the shoulder was dinged around, and was very loose. Oh, and also he shaved lots of spurs at my collarbone, and acromium But! the ball and socket looked good. So, instead of a week of sling for my left arm, it's 6 weeks.

It will be one week tomorrow that I had the surgery, and I've been back at work for a few days now. Pain is diminishing. So, that's the deal

1 comment:

BCxFour said...

ugh! I am glad you are starting to feel better and less sore! Versed is a wonderful thing eh?