Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Hemming and Hawing

Yesterday Charlie was scheduled to come and pick up the ram lambs.   After work, on the way home I stopped at the market, and then mowed the lawn.  So much mowing this year...

On the way to the farm, I was hemming and hawing about what to do with the sheep when I pulled the ram lambs, as they and their mothers were in the temporary field with electro-net and you should never leave weaned animals in e-net- as they tend to um, disregard the netting while looking for their young...  I figured I would leave them in the larger field and leave the rest of that group in the e-net, but then thought, that will be a small group... maybe mix them... Only thing was, that there is that young lamb, but things should be okay with ram, as she no longer smells brand new, and maybe because she is a she...

Well, all that thinking was for nothing...  When I got to the farm, *someone* had knocked down the gate (which was put up total cob job by me), and all the sheep were mixed... Everyone was grazing, which, considering the heat outside, was rather surprising, but they did look happy to be back together...

I brought momma and her lamb in to eat, and then Charlie arrived.  As soon as the barn door was open all the sheep went in, for it is so hot, they are just really wanting out of that blasted heat- they are panting just standing.  So, I opened the small room gate and they all went in.  I caught the ram lambs and Charlie and I carried them to the trailer.  The biggest ram lamb was HUGE.  It took two of us to carry him and he is bigger than my yearling ram...   Got them loaded up and off they went.  Left all sheep together.  When little lamb is bigger, all are going to temporary fencing to graze that stuff- lots of great browse in there.

I got home from the farm and I made BLT sandwiches.  I took three bites out of one and could not eat anymore.  I think the heat had gotten to me.  So, I ended up just having some rice... I also washed all my bedding, so last night it was comfy in my room, clean bedding, a/c going and read my mystery.  Slept well.

Today will be another hot one.  Poor Dan and Joe are going a bit stir crazy, but it is just too hot to work them much, and I can't get to the farm until the hottest part of the day.  Will take them on a good long walk today.


No comments: