Friday, June 1, 2012

Brought the flock back to the big field on Weds.  It was time to give a rest to the hill pasture and put them in the big one.  Grass and browse looks good in there, and the lambs will do well.  There is also a lot of nice shade in there, and that keeps them comfortable.  On Saturday, I go and get a bunch of ewe lambs from John for a friend of mine and I.  I will get them un-loaded and put them in a pen in the barn where they will be vaccinated and wormed.  I would tag, but it's fly season and I am loathe to risk fly strike at this point.  New lambs will be allowed to be just lambs for the time being.  It's a big thing to move animals, and I want them to have as smooth a transition as possible.  After this group of lambs come, I should be in good shape for having the number of ewes I want. 

One of my home bred lambs will be going on to be a flock sire at a friend of mine.  I am happy to see one of these guys go to make more like him.  Nice substance on these guys, and well, it sort of swells my chest to see them go on and instill the good characteristics they have, into others.  The mothers of the lambs all still have good milk- even the twin mother who's lambs are almost 12 weeks.  At this point the lambs just sort of sneak up for a feed, but mother allows it here and there.  I am following the methods of my friend John when it comes to this, no real weaning, it makes for a nice transition to adulthood and much less stress.  This may change in the future, but for me, now, it works.

Had a very good day yesterday.  Joey got his first for reals! try on sheep.  For reals, I mean that he was brought into a smaller pen and I tried my best to help him do the right thing.  The look in his eyes when he was done- was utter bliss...  Here we go!  I also worked Dan and as we were working, right in front of my friend and I popped up a baby fawn!  It ran to the fence line, and thankfully no dogs tried to cover it, and no mad momma came out to cream us or our dogs.  Wish I had video!

I bought a Furminator for the dogs.  WOW.  Where have you been all my life!?!  What a great tool.  Started on Dan, and will keep going for a few days.

Today after work is mow the lawn and string trim day- certainly not high on my list of fun things to do, but this sort of stuff has to be kept up with. 

Well, that's it for now, I hope everyone has a great day!!!!

No comments: