Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Put my big girl pants on

I decided it was time to vaccinate and worm the sheep. Now, in the past I have helped (the jabber) while someone holds. I didn't have any help handy, and this week was going to be too busy to try and fit it in later.

When I got to the farm, I drew up the syringes, and went to the barn and loaded up the first measure of wormer. I decided to do the big Border Leicesters first. They know the drill. They are large, but fall nice and gently when I "ask" them. None of them have any evidence of any bags. Zippo. Nada. Nothing. One of them was bred at the end of November, so we won't consider her, but the other two? Who knows. I do know that they don't look preggers, either by belly or by bag.

Then I did the Cheviot ewes. They are nice girls. Yes, a bit jumpier, but once in my calm hands, they seem to trust me. Three of the four have some bag development- not milk, but pinker and fuller. I meant to mark the ones who looked that way, but I forgot. The fourth one, who knows, maybe she was bred later, or maybe not at all.

Then, I did the three ewe lambs. OH GOOD LORD. They were nuts. They jumped in the air and stayed there. When I had them on their hiney's they struck out with their front feet. The last one, I had to lay on her side to vaccinate her. Good Lord. Coyotes would not have an easy time with these girls!

When I was done, I was huffing and puffing. Just plain exhausted. It was those last three lambs. But, the job was done. I have to vaccinate the lambs again in three weeks, but I will be prepared (mentally).

John is up to five lambs, one set of twins. I think there are three rams and two ewes. The twins are both rams.

Joe is doing well. He can now navigate the deck stairs with impunity. Tomorrow he turns twelve weeks. Seems like I have had him longer than that.... Aren't pups fun?

That's the update for now.

No comments: