Wednesday, May 4, 2011

So, finally, I am getting back to normal routine.... Some how, driving to and from a trial Sat and Sun seems to put me back a bit. I should know by now, that I am not 20 anymore.. :) But, that said, it was not a bad drive at all, and I am glad Danny and I went- even though we met quite different results each day, and I don't blame anyone but me and my handling. Danny maybe a *little* at one point, but honestly, it is up to me to train for all contingencies, so I take the responsibility.

We arrived Saturday morning to a place I have never been. I met up with some other handlers who's first time at a sheepdog trial was NOW and they were a little worried. I know all about that. This is a good first trial, as there are not a lot of people in attendance, and it's rather low key, in terms of no big hats (mostly) are there to watch us novice folks make egregious errors....

Anyway, I left Lucy home on Sat, because she has been just wonky after her spay. She is sensitive as all get out, and doing things like going under my house, being hyper as all get out in the car, and panting and just basically not normal. So, back to we got there....

At the handlers meeting, we were told the usual reminders - do not let your dog chase the sheep, and help your dog if needed.

After the meeting, I got Dan, and since we were first up, as soon as I saw the sheep coming out of the holding area, we entered the field and settled at the post. I set Dan up to my right, knowing the pressure was on that side. I sent him and he went decently, and came in took a whistle and fetched the sheep nicely, and we turned the post correctly, and then I had him drive the sheep with me walking behind enough so I was not a draw to the sheep. We then got them to and through the chute. Dan remained calm and cool, and so did I. It was a very nice first run.


Sunday, was a different deal all together... We were 14th in the run order, I set Danny up on the right, this time he was wider, and deeper and he did this weird thing, that I have not seen too much- and need to figure out. He was deep enough and did not turn in on his sheep until he was past them and by then were running PELL MELL for the exhaust. I whistled a wimpy come by, and I should have used my voice- he hesitated and then he ran for the sheep. I SHOULD have stopped him when I saw the sheep starting to run and called him in. The judge actually told us this.... When will I learn. This will be an issue I look to tackle with the lessons I am taking soon!

So, anyway, Danny started after his sheep. He did the okay, you are at the exhaust, I am not brave enough to slowly go between you and the fence, so I will bust in, and then, gather you up. Which is exactly what he did. And, he brought them very nicely back to the post. I gave him a steady once, but Dan remained calm and workmanlike.

Sheep got to the post, and I have him flank commands to get the sheep lined up. They went into the open pen (had no gate), and I had to flank Danny to get them out. Which, he took every flank and did not slice any. I then had him drive them out to the panels which was not as smooth as Saturday, but we got through it. Then, I ran to the pen, and guarded the far end and had Danny get them in.

As we walked off the field, the judge reminded me I should have whistled him to stop and called him in. Yes, I am a dolt. I need to pay attention to my sheep!

We left after the novice class on Sunday, as I had a lot to do- check my sheep, mow my lawn, lots of things.

On Sat, our score was a 72 and on Sunday? I don't know, and don't want to know! Saturday was a third place, with a run off between the two who had first place- they each had a 75. So, Danny was very good.


That's how it went. That was our first and last entry to a novice novice course. Pro-novice here we come.

No comments: