Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Danny at Finality Farm SDT

I am back....... Thinking I need a top off of B-12, as it should not take me this long to recover from a busy weekend.... Maybe I am just old...

So, let's see, on Friday, I met my friend up at the trial- that was AFTER I went to work, went to grocery store, walked the dogs at the farm, and mowed/string trimmed the lawn. Yeah, I am serious. So, we met at the trial and I watched some runs. These sheep were NOT trial sheep and at times, it took 3 dogs and 3 handlers to exhaust sheep off the field. No kidding. Scary. We went to dinner Friday night, and I just did not sleep that well, for whatever reason.

Saturday we got up early and went to the farm. I really wanted to show B my training field and get some pointers. Her suggestion was to stick more with driving and walk with him, and to lay off on outruns, as he can't see the sheep well when he takes off. It was good to have her see where I work them, and also see my sheep. Then we headed up to the trial and watched all day. We got out of there at a reasonable hour and after stopping at the house to do chores/clean up we went out to dinner at the Coyote Grill. EXCELLENT food, and I had one drink, a Madres, and BOY was that just what the Dr. ordered to relax me to sleep. Got a good night's sleep that night.

Sunday was the novice/ranch classes. It was cold and foggy. Classes were held up for almost two hours, as you could not see the sheep. I shivered all day. Even with a blanket loaned to me by one of my trial buddies.

I got to watch Danny's brother run in pro novice, and I had my trial buddy video tape their nursery runs that happened on Sat night as well. Those dogs, Meg and Ben both did well with those sheep and a big course.

When it was time for Danny and I to run, I went out there and saw where the sheep were being set out and got a bit dizzy. I was a light headed thinking of the magnitude of it all. Second trial and are we ready? Who knows. When it was our turn I went out there and proceeded to just try and compose myself, and with hands on my hips (that
s composed?!) I sent him away to me. He did a nice outrun and lift. I gave a stop at the top and then allowed him to walk in. He did. We got around the course, he was taking my flank whistles. A few times he ate some grass/sheep droppings, as I know he felt tension, but he kept working. We almost got pen at first try, but one popped out and at second try we got her in. At the end of the run, I was so proud of him I bent down and fawned over him- with sheep still in pen (where's the eye rolling icon?!). I finally got the sheep out and got a hold of Danny and we left the field. I was happy with our first time. I learned later that we did well enough to earn first place. Wow. Danny, you are a VERY good boy!


For our second run, after a long day of shivering, I was just beat (again). I see a common thread. I had also watched several runs of rotten big mouthed black faced sheep running around the pen. I was angry at them for that. So, when we walked to the post, I heard in my group, a loud mouthed black faced ewe. So, game on. We did the same side outrun, and walked them through the course. It didn't feel like quite as good a run, but in any case, we got to the pen and this rotten black face started her shenanigans. I worked the pen hard, pretty much panicked and finally when I got her at the mouth and she faced me, I growled hard at her. My trial buddy said I looked/sounded like the Hulk. We ran out pen points; the judge let me know, and then we left. Judge smiled at me. Hmmmmm.

So, it was then time for me to scribe for novice and the trial manager brought out my second place ribbon and prize. Judge told me at that point that the run was good, but he would have liked to see me NOT panic at the pen- that a good run is nice to end with a pen... I internally shook my head- he was right- Danny deserves better.

So, at the end of the day, I headed home, took a hot shower and the rest of the night is a blur.

One of my trial buddies put some pictures up of the score sheets, and someone mentioned that one of the handlers earned a 17 on their lift. Now, 10 is the highest number possible........ The trial managers checked and sure enough, there was an error in scoring and Danny and I won the second trial as well!

It's almost surreal. I have worked very hard, almost given up on him so many times. I think patience is over looked in this sport. I know we have a long way to go, but I think I will savor this for now.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

A big congratulations!!!

BCxFour said...

WOOOHOOO! Congrats on the wins! You must be so very proud of Danny. Proud of yourself too, you have worked very hard. Well done!

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks guys. Sort of surreal, as I said........