Monday, May 30, 2011

Next trial and other things

My fence guy blew me off twice, and for the last time. Nice to 3/4 finish a job and leave someone high and dry. I found a new guy who is coming later today, let's hope. Supposed to be real hot, ick.

Danny has had several engorged ticks, so I have started him on doxy for now, that I had from when Cori was ill just before she died, so the plan is to get him on a new Rx, and get him tested for all the rotten illnesses you can get from ticks in eight weeks, after a full round of abx (this is what a vet told me to do).

This time of year, it's hard to a) have time to write in a blog and b) have the energy.

Danny and I ran at Cummington this weekend. The sheep were their usual idiot selves- looking for the exhaust, pushing hard that way. You could get nice packets that flowed, or you could get just the opposite. Not aggressive, but just looking to escape at all times. Very hard for young dogs. Danny's brother and sister did well though. Meg won Ranch on Sunday, and Ben took a second in Pro Novice yesterday as well.

Danny fared okay, but we were over faced with the drive away. Both sets of our sheep were very heavy to anywhere but the drive line. Danny also has to learn to get up slow and walk slow. Anyway, we got a 5 on Sat and a 7 on Sunday, but only 2 points on our drive yesterday (yuck). I figured that we had them close enough to those panels, and I just did not want to fight them anymore. Danny JUST moved into pro novice and I don't want tension so high, through no fault of his own. His gathers were very good all weekend, although no stop on his fetch, well, he did, but not as fast as usual. I was shocked!

Our next trial has these same sheep. So, I have lots to go over with Aled at our lesson later this week.

I was happy with Danny. We were over faced with those sheep. I was not experienced enough to know how to handle them and Danny did as he was told, but he did not know how to finesse them. We will get there.

This week, fence work, some mowing at the farm and a lesson later in the week. Then, I have to bring my new lambs home. Then, I have to worm all of John's sheep, when we get them sheared. Oh, one little cool thing- I will be working my dogs there and setting up for a trial. Yes. You read me right. It's all a go.

No comments: