Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chicken soup for the soul- working dogs

So, I am over the "want a farm" thing for now. Helping me to do that was to get out to my brother's farm, the farm where my sheep are, and to work the dogs :)

Yesterday was another unseasonably warm day. Not a lot of dog working done, but we did get in a little fence holding for Danny, and then some fence pulling and them some driving- ah, you get the picture :) Danny is so keen to work he can barely contain himself on the way to the field- he runs ahead and then back to me, and play bows, and scoots. He's just jubilant. Yesterday, as he was walking up to the sheep, he looked *just* like his father Glen. It was uncanny. Same stance, same everything.

Lucy got a little bit of work in, but not much. We just need to work on non-lazy outruns and stops ;)

I have been taking the sheep to the steer pasture, where the grass is much better. There *is* grass to speak of. They are loving it there. The lambs are very skittish in there, but are eating just as fast and hard as the ewes. I see that pasture rotation is very important for the grass and the sheep. When we clear out the other pasture area this fall, I believe I will keep it fenced separate.

The lambs have been growing. All but one digs into the grain that I put on hay flakes. One, is always on the look out. When she's hungry enough I suspect she will eat. These Cheviots are nice and hardy. I like this breed a lot. Border Leicesters are huge, and not so hardy.

The baby Parakeets are ready to go to their new homes. I am dreading this. I have a home for them, but they get along so well now. The whole lot of them. I know it's best, but this will be hard. They have a home where two will go to the mother's place, and the other will go to the daughter's place. It will be for the best, but I will have a hard time. I am sure.

Ginger, my kitty has been puking her dry food a lot. Wouldn't be so bad if it weren't on my pillow.... She seems to be doing well other than that.

All the dogs are good, and my house is pretty clean. That's a nice thing.

Well, that's it for now!!

No comments: