Sunday, October 24, 2010

Been a while

Been a bit since an update...

So, Lucy, Danny and I headed up for our two day training session. Poor Lucy didn't get to work sheep, but Danny had two lessons. He did very well. He's got issues on his lift still (not deep enough on come by side), but we are addressing it. He's such a nice dog on the fetch; if the sheep get rattled he just stays calm. That's a very nice feature in a dog. It was a very nice time, and we came home Tues, but not before stopping at another friend's place to work dogs. This time I worked Lucy and Danny :)

Danny got to learn to hold sheep on a fence calmly, and we were given home work for that.

Every day last week we worked on this at the farm. He's making progress. I believe it's a combination of growing up and experience, which is making him what he is, that is, it's not just my working with him, it's also his head engaging :)

Yesterday I went out to a friend's place and we worked dogs, and Lucy got some work on her outruns, that had gotten a bit cruddy, and also her stops. Forever her stops.

Danny, we worked on his lifts. It's really the ONLY thing I see an issue with, and it's on one side. We keep plugging away, with me sending him from a long way away, and me being near sheep. It's helping, but I am going to have to stop him on the lift more often than not, until he slows up, goes deep enough and chills on the lift. He doesn't buzz in, he just comes in too fast.

After working dogs yesterday, I stopped at the farm and fed the sheep. Yes, fed them. I have been graining everyone, due to the condition of the field. It wasn't great before I added four lambs, but now, it is just barely there. They have hay on offer, but don't really eat it, except for the leafy stuff, so that's my next plan, to buy hay that's nice and leafy and second cutting. The lambs are starting to really fight for their grain, and that's good, because THEY need it more than the ewes.

I awoke at 12:30 am this morning, thinking about what I wanted to do today- I HAVE to stop doing that. Today I plan to hit the market, Home Depot (to get wood to make a trough for the grain) and then clean. I did 1/3 of the fenced in back yard yesterday (leaves) and need to do more this week, but it rained this morning, so no more leaves today, so maybe tomorrow.

Not much going on this fall, probably like most people. It's a good time to button things up around the house, do some cleaning and maybe some baking and cooking. Still no barn yard fence. I have just about given up on it and may, instead just build a run in shed for them in their pasture.

Well, that's it for now boys and girls, have a great week!

No comments: