Thursday, October 7, 2010

Time for an update

It's been a few days, with not a lot to report, but it's been a good week. The sheep have not arrived- I am working out transportation. The Border Leicesters should be coming next weekend. Now, I have to determine if I can afford to feed the Cheviots too... One thing you won't see me doing is jumping into things without a lot of forethought ;) Perhaps TOO much forethought sometimes!

I have been working the dogs in the bigger pasture and it has been great. We have done so many left sided outruns, that when I wanted to do a right sided one, Danny wasn't as good as he had been ;) Oh Lord, it's always something! Today, we will remedy that, and work on those right sides. He's coming along nicely, I think. We are working on the box driving (where the dog drives the sheep around you in the shape of a box, or rectangle). Danny busted through a couple times, but I am not worried too much, it's a factor of my rushing commands again. I really like to work him. I have to say, it's much nicer than working Lucy. Lucy does not really need drilling at this point, at all. And, to her, it's rather pointless. I get that Lucy. We need more sheep! We need a real job for you! We will get there my dear!

For a dog who has been characterized as not wanting/liking to walk up, I would hate to see it if he does... Yesterday, I walked him up no less than 150 yards, and he just kept right on, turned them and kept going. This dog loves to drive. I also love that he takes my stops so nice. I have to remember to give him quiet, small flank commands so it is easier for him to stop.

I managed to get a little cleaning done in the house this week, and this weekend, while, ahem EVERYONE is at the novice finals, I will be home, cleaning leaves out of gutters, raking leaves, and working dogs... The working dogs part is cool, but leaves? Has to be done, but I don't really enjoy it!

My baby Parakeets- two of the three have fledged for some time now. They are a stunning light blue colour. The blue baby still has not left the box. But, apparently, parents are not worried, as mom still feeds him. They can get so noisy in that room, that sometimes I have to leave it.

We have gotten a lot of rain of late, and the seed I put in seems to be sprouting up here and there- I should have put in a LOT more. The sheep seem happy with all this rain, and they are a good weight. Still no fencing near the barn, but I am told by end of this week the fence post holes should be in. I can do the rest :)

Well, that's it for now. Happy Thursday!

No comments: