Monday, October 18, 2010

Just got better, and gets better

So, Sunday arrived, and perhaps it did so a bit early... I didn't sleep very well. I got up at 5:00, and then got back in bed, but stayed awake. I felt like I was in over-draft in terms of sleep ;)

So, finally, my day started after an English muffin and some coffee. I had to first stop at my friend's place to drop off the t-shirt I got at the sheep and wool, for a larger size, and then to the farm.

So, when I got to my friend's place, I saw that they just picked up a load of hay, and I wanted to help them unload, but I knew I could not stay (they had more than enough people to help, but I believe fellow farmers should *always* lend a hand). Anyway, I got the t-shirt dropped off and headed to the farm.

I got the sheep/lambs all loaded into my combo/gate pen, and my friend showed up. We got all the vax drawn up, the chalk in my pocket and the wormer drawn up. I had decided to worm the ewes too, because the ticks are just so bad. I did the vaxing, while my friend held the "wild animals" as he termed them- the lambs. They are pretty nutty. But, once on their butts, no problem. I didn't get to check their condition, but they were not fat, so I am going to figure out a way to grain those girls- so the older girls don't get it all. Not much grass left at all now. We marked with pink chalk, so fitting for girls :)

I let every one out and my friend asked me if I would work Danny so he could see how he was doing. So, I got Danny and we worked. He made some suggestions, and then we brought the sheep to the fence, and we worked on Danny just covering- and not busting in, which he was doing. See, Danny doesn't get much chance just to work sheep, so he needs this. At first, he was being silly, as my friend put it, but then, after I made it clear that busting in at me and sheep was not allowed, he started to think. By the end of the session, he was starting to get it. This dog never wants to do wrong, so once he gets something, he GETS it. I have instructions to do this every day with him.
This work will also help him at the lift, I believe a lot.

So, today, after work I head up for the last two day lesson for the year with my trainer. Looking forward to it, except for Lucy freezing in the car. I will bring her a comforter to keep warm in the car.

On the way home, a lesson with another trainer and Danny. Boy, Danny gets lots of education!

So, yes, it will be good. Good to get away, and good to learn more about how to train my dog!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday. And you are so lucky to have trainer(s) near you.