Saturday, October 9, 2010

Meet the new girls

Well, the time was nigh. I just had to get more sheep, as my originals need to start being rotated off for work. Yesterday, as I walked Danny up on the group, one ewe in particular stood and stared, which Danny responded well- stayed calm and slowly walked up, but it got me thinking, that these girls will get sour, unless I can rotate them a bit. So.... I called my friend with the Cheviot flock who lives not far from the farm, and voila! Here they are. They are VERY small, they look like mini sheep, but they are late lambs. They are filthy, as he barns them up every night- but once we get a good rain, all should be good. I went back to check on them twice so far, and they are hanging around the other girls, and the other girls tolerate them fine. I thought one of my girls had an eye problem, as she was squinting it shut in the pics I took, so I got some triple antibiotic ointment from my vet friend, and went back to treat her- now no more squint. Figures. Well, at least I have it. I hope we don't have any illnesses crop up, but I did NOT want to barn anyone up, and there is enough space where everyone can spread out. If someone(s) get sick, I will deal with it when/if it happens... My vet friend is a great resource, and he knows I really care about my animals, so he is happy to help. I won't work these lambs for a while, I will let them settle in.

I am going to work Danny and Lucy elsewhere tomorrow, and then later this week a lesson at a new place, and THEN the week after, another two day lesson at another place. Makes for good new experiences for Danny, and me :)

So, that's it, next, the other Border Leicesters, if we can get them here!

1 comment:

Southbaygirl said...

SHEEP!!!!! I love sheep!!!

Woof

Velcro