Tuesday, February 23, 2010

One room, pot roast, jabbing

I think my post titles leave a bit to be desired, but they do get the message across. Let's see, Sunday I stayed home- I toyed with going out to Barnes and Noble, but instead, I decided to do that cleaning I need to do. So, I cleaned one room very well, and the others pretty well. The kitchen got a real scrubbing. After that, I watched the Olympics and then headed up to my parents for a wonderful Pot Roast dinner. It was very very good.

On Monday, I worked, and then took some vacation time to be off because it was supposed to snow for basically the entire rest of the week. I ended up working the dogs. It was great. It was such a nice day that I spent some of it just watching the sheep, and getting into my "happy place" I think they call it. This time of year, I feel like a plant soaking up the sunlight makes me feel so much better.


Danny did well, although progress hasn't been what I would like, because this winter the work is just so seldom. He is great on his away outrun, but his come by is tight, and he has yet to understand my trick of stopping him, then I walk up, and chastise him, and he continues on wider. That did the trick for Lucy, so let's hope it does so for him. At one point when working him, the sheep got further away from me than I had hoped, and made it to the gate. Danny had already been sent. So, he ran up on his away side, and *almost* held it together, never crossing, but then he had to split one off, and then focused on another. But, then, Danny engaged his brain again, and just brought them all (gathering them first) and had them at my feet beautifully. He has the same sort of integral good sheep sense as Lucy, and THAT is what I was hoping for. Danny has a long way to go, but he's well liked by those that work him :)

So, then I worked Lucy. Actually, I worked her first to get the sheep calmer, for Danny. Anyway, Lucy did very well. She's just in the zone. Good outruns, downing when I ask, and she did some very nice driving. We are working on cross driving more and more, as she is good going to the right, but the left can be tricky (it's all because of the different pressures). Then, we did some shedding. She was a bit tight, but one correction fixed that. I shed off three sheep from a group, and then one from that group of three. Lucy did well, and held her. With Lucy, sheep learn in fast order that they can't beat her. Of course they try, but she reads them so well. Sometimes I will send her for the other group, or I will have her bring the single back, but the neat thing is, I can then call her "in here, this one", and even if they are within five feet of each other, she will single that one off. She just gets it.

After we worked sheep, I helped vaccinate sheep- I was the jabber. There are lots of sheep getting vax right now. I can't wait for lambs. Such a sense of renewed life after a long winter.

So, then it was time to head home. Was a very good day. I had a sandwich for dinner, and three glasses of milk! I am glad I drink skim... or I would be a whale.

I slept pretty well last night, and now this week, I've just got to see what the weather holds.

Oh, and Friday I am scheduled for my shoulder surgery. Yee haw. Not.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What are they doing to your shoulder? I just had an MRI and have frozen shoulder. Getting lots of PT for it....