Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Entitlement

This is one of those posts, wherein I just have to post my opinion, even if it is unpopular. I will preface this post, by saying that I am someone who believes in this country, all things are possible, with hard work, support of a loved one/family, and that you alone are responsible for your happiness and success. Entitlement mentality really irks me, and that's putting it mildly.

Like many folks, I work hard, so that I can pay my bills. It isn't easy these days- not for anyone, and luxuries are just that, luxuries. I tend to spend as little as possible and pay down bills as much as possible. I have had to my whole life. I haven't been given much. A car, my first car, yes, but I have been working since I was 16, and have never stopped. I purchased a home, with no help from anyone. Yes, I got a great deal, but the bills are all mine.

Many of my friends have much nicer homes, drive nice cars, go on vacations, and many also have good sized farms/acreage. I don't begrudge anyone what they have. Unless... they don't work hard for it. Then, I start to get a bit, well, testy.

Case in point. There is a person who rents a small house, with a small lot. She has a few different farm animals, and loves her small holding. I think it's really cool.
But, then... She has a button on her blog that asks for donations. No, not donations for Haiti, Animal Shelters, Homeless, but rather, for her own life. You know, so she can get her own farm some day. This *really* irks me. People have donated $$ to her, for her dream. No, not to help cover a disaster in her life, but something she really wants, but does not need. Some of these people can barely afford to pay their own bills, yet, they come up with money for this person. It just galls me. I wonder, am I jealous? Would I like to have the temerity to beg for money to help me pay off my bills? Would you all mind? Would it be okay for me to put up a donate button? I wonder. No, no way. I would not accept charity, when working will achieve the same goal. Oh, and this person has a good paying job, and she does other wage earning activities too.

I suppose that this person who has received generous donations will some day purchase a nice farm, and regale us all of her wonderful life, that others paid for. Sweet isn't it?

My grandfather was a share cropper, and carpenter. He and my grandmother bought land in Sullivan county, and he built their house. They also had farm animals. He worked until just before Cancer took over his life- well into his late 80s. He taught me that some animals are a luxury, and that hard work was part of life, AND that people don't' give you $$ because you want it, you have to earn it.

Anyway, that's my beef. So, you think I should put up a donate button?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No. I know you're not seriously considering it anyway! I especially agree with you on who the people are that are donating to that woman. There are some very impressionable people out there who need to concentrate on maintaining their own well being, who are being taken advantage of.
Just keep being yourself.

Dancing shepherdess said...

I would NE VER do that. I will keep doing my thing :)