Thursday, January 2, 2014

It is cold today.  Yes, cold.  We knew it was coming, but still no fun to be out in it.  Today it was 7 degrees when I got to the farm.  Sheep were asking for their hay/grain.  My sister came with me and together we fed fast.  I gave out extra hay, and my sister pushed sheep away for me when I put the grain on the flakes.  After I fed, I made sure the barn door was blocked open, and water was good.  They will have a nice dry barn with fresh straw in it to go into tonight.  With windchill, they are saying that temps could get to -25 degrees F.  Now, that is cold.  I plugged in the heat tape yesterday, so my water line would not freeze. 

I did not even let the dogs out of the car.  I had foot warmers in my boots, my heavy barn coat, and gloves and still absolutely frozen.  I have bad circulation in my hands and feet (feet especially), so I just cannot be out in it for long, or my feet hurt forever.

Tomorrow promises to be interesting.  There is a TON of snow due to come, well, not a TON, but up to 16".  I see lots of hot showers in my future.  It will be done snowing by tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully I can do all my normal end of the week errands.  It is weather like this that really makes me feel for animals who have no shelter- horses, cattle, Sheep- not as much as long as they have wool, but really, this cold/snow, they need to be able to get out of it, or they spend all their energy just trying to stay alive/warm, and well, I would rather they not be taxed that way.

That's it for now!

No comments: