Monday, April 30, 2012

First trial of the season under our belt. It was a good weekend, in general. On Friday I went up to watch the trial at the Old Chatham sheep herding company. They used un-dogged dairy sheep; yearlings, which made for real work for the dogs. The outrun was quite long, so the dogs really had to move like they meant it. It was EXTREMELY cold though. When I went home, I never warmed up, even with a hot shower.




Saturday and Sunday I went to the Ct sheep breeders trial. Dan was entered in Ranch for the first time (me too). Our run on Sat was not very good, it was the first time Dan has had to push out that far in a trial situation, and he was also not taking his flanks right, and on the cross drive he wanted to bring them back to me. Just an odd run. But, it was our maiden voyage... Sunday was better, it just felt better, and I did feel like we belonged out there, as opposed to Saturday. So, we got our first ranch runs done and we survived. I brought Joe out to socialize to both trials and he did very well. He was well behaved and loved everyone. He's a real nice boy. He was up and at 'em early this morning though, as he did not get his usual exercise. I did not eat really well over the weekend, so I will need some good food today....

 So, it's back to the grind stone this week. Sheep are well. I have stopped graining everyone as they all were showing that the grain plus that rich grass is too much. I hope the field they in lasts another three weeks, because that is at least as long as I will need to rest the other field. Sheep farmers really are grass farmers. It's all about the grass. Well, that's it for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dancing shepherdess said...

No problem, I will need your email.