Sunday, April 22, 2012

Shearing yesterday. I woke up yesterday, and had a leisurely morning, knowing that the rain would not come until much later in the day. But, as it neared 6:30 am, I started to see ominous looking clouds... So, I pretty much hurried up to get there. When I got there I could see that it did rain a little bit over night. Moved panels around, and got everyone in. I put the lambs in the small side room, so during the shearing they would not get bumped around. I put in a tray of grain for them, and they were pretty happy in there. When Ray and his son got there, they immediately set to work setting up. The room I use works well as it is big enough, but not too big so you can catch sheep pretty easily. I stood outside the room, so I could move out the wool and guard the gate (as Cheviots, ahem, have been known to leap small buildings). So, it went really well. One of my 2 year old Chevs has diarrhea, which I will treat today. Ray gave me some suggestions. I think it is due to too much grain when I let her in with the mothers the other day, by mistake, to eat... Anyway, shearing was over with really fast, and not a single cut on anyone- that's important to me. What nice thick fleece. They all looked in good body condition. I am happy with how they fared over the winter. Now I can see how big the lambs look next to their mothers. This ram definitely put some size into them... Maybe he will stay. I just have to figure something out... Maybe a pen at John's place. We got maybe half to three quarters of an inch of rain last night, and a lot more expected today. I hope we do get all three inches that are possible. This will be JUST what the ground needs. I called my hay guy to get on the list for this winter, because last year I was at the bottom of that list, and got only what was left... John had a Coyote in his sheep field yesterday. This is BAD. I hope and pray that he does not lose any lambs, especially the ewe lambs. I am almost thinking of bringing them home at 8 weeks instead of 12 to ensure their safety.... Today I am going to clean- I cleaned out my third and final closet yesterday, filed papers and shredded more papers. Now I can get down to the nitty gritty of cleaning; now that I have space to store things. It's been really good. Well, that's it for now.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like a good day.

Did any of the lambs have trouble recognizing their mom after they were sheared?

Kelpie and Collie said...

Yes, they were running away from them at first...

DeltaBluez Tess said...

I love the ne look on the sheep after shearing