Sunday, December 19, 2010




Winter is not officially here until December 21. It would appear, however, that mother nature is not really interested calendars... So, we have moved on to winter mode.

This is my first winter with sheep, and all it entails. The sheep are doing well, and I have taken to bring their hay up in the field and have them eat up there. It keeps the area near the manger cleaner, insures that they actually get some exercise, and it keeps them cleaner. It is dangerous as all get out for me though, because it's a steep hill. I have been looking for a plastic toboggan, but I haven't found one yet (oh, the toboggan is for the hay, and maybe me sledding down the hills when done :).

The pictures you see are of my Danny boy watching his sheep, and of course, the sheep eating their daily ration of hay. The lambs have all, it appears, gained since I started doing this, so the added benefit is less competition and more food for the lambs.

Today was a nice day. I was really tired, as yesterday I ran around a lot, got good work with Danny in. Danny did some cool stuff. Then, I stopped at John's farm and we chatted a bit, it's basically our weekly pasture-side chats, and I really enjoy them. Going to make him a Cherry pie this week. After I left John's, I noticed it was later than I thought, and I ate dinner at normal time, and got into bed early.

This morning I was really beat when I woke up and let the dogs out, so I got back in bed. And stayed there for about another hour and half. I decided to make some pancakes (mmmm), and had some good coffee. Then, I headed up to the farm to work the dogs and feed the sheep. Chatted with my brother a bit, and then home. This afternoon has consisted of watching football and eating an early supper.

I am getting a delivery of hay either tomorrow or Tues, so that will get me in good shape for most of the rest of the winter. GOOD. BOY is hay expensive. Next year, I will have to go cheaper. Just have to. Oh, got a call today to put a bid in to the sheepdog demos at the Dutchess County fair. We shall see. If I don't get it, I will certainly survive!!!!!!!!

I am so happy that the days will get longer starting in a couple days. Thank the Lord.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you are all having very nice weekend!

No comments: