Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas is almost here.... I have a few more gifts to buy today, and then I am set! I have been staying pretty active lately, and thankfully, that has translated into losing just a tiny bit of weight. I need to lose like twenty more pounds, but I will get there.

Worked Danny yesterday, and he was great, but my Border Leicester sheep are not long for this world if they keep running around me. I may just bring Lucy in when I work Danny and keep her on a line to teach them a lesson or two about what NOT to do. I SHOULD have bred them this year, and then, once they lambed, moved them on. To tell you the truth, I may just do that anyway. Keep just the Cheviots, and find some new, heavier sheep for spring....

Danny did something so wonderful yesterday, even though it was really no big deal. I was bringing a bale of hay up to the pasture, and it was a slippery steep hill. Danny ran head, and I worried about him fetching the sheep, because I would definitely go flying/sliding down the hill.

Well, when I crested the hill, there was Danny. Sitting watching over the flock. Waiting for me. So calm, but focused. It was sort of breath taking. He then, on my direction, moved the sheep away, and held them on the fence. He didn't bust in, or mis-behave in any way. He just held them, with one paw in the air. Waiting for me. Once I had put out all the flakes, I said "that'll do" and Danny turned, gleefully, and ran to me, and we headed down the hill. He's one wonderful dog.

When we got home last night, I decided to bathe him. He was a bit stinky, and what a good boy. He stood in there and wagged his tail. Is there a sweeter boy? I don't think so.

Lucy is doing well too. I haven't been working her, but she's been hiking with Danny and I, and wrestling a lot with Danny. I may work her today.. Need to get back in the swing. I will use her to shed off those BL ewes so Danny can work just the Cheviot lambs. Oh, the lambs have definitely gained as of late- nice round bellies, just like I want them.

I am looking forward to Christmas eve and day food.....

Well, that's it for now!

No comments: